Hello and thank you for calling in...

My name is Helen and I am a Photographer living in England. I started this Blog on the day that my Grandma died, three months after my Father died and several weeks before a third funeral. Initially it was a very personal way to stay connected to the people I'd lost and it helped, it really did. But writing and taking pictures everyday has opened back up a creative side that I had lost during the everyday. A big thank you to my followers, to those who take the time to comment and to new visitors, I hope we will become Blog friends too...

Sunday 11 March 2018

Sky Fingers and Snow Angles

I look at sky at lot and wish there was a camera in my hand and I wasn't so busy doing a million other things. It's such a hugely changing, inspiring thing to photograph and can be captured anytime anywhere by camera or phone with usually very pleasing results! I am by no means the best sky photographer but does that matter really.
Fingers, piano keys, fireworks, fish scales...what do you see? Of course our ancestors  took great heed of the skies, the stars at night, moon cycles, colours determining the weather. Where I grew up in England my village community set great stall by the sky "red sky at night, shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning"  It was important. We got cut off from the outside world in the winter, huge snow drifts that tractors with snow ploughs on the front had to cut make shift roads through. We would walk to school through these snow tunnels breaking huge icicles of shed roofs to suck...can you imagine!! It was normal to us, we knew no different or no better. My friend still lives there and even though winters are not what they used to be in England, they still loose their water supply or electricity at some point during each winter. 
Last weekend we had enough snow to keep everyone at home giving a perfect excuse to get out with the camera. It was very foggy ensuring there were no shadows so dynamic angles were more important then ever. It was -6 with winds that made it feels twice as cold so it was a case of searching for the shot quickly and snapping even quicker!  

No comments:

Post a Comment