Hello and thank you for calling in...

My name is Helen and I am a Photographer living in England. I started this Blog on the day that my Grandma died, three months after my Father died and several weeks before a third funeral. Initially it was a very personal way to stay connected to the people I'd lost and it helped, it really did. But writing and taking pictures everyday has opened back up a creative side that I had lost during the everyday. A big thank you to my followers, to those who take the time to comment and to new visitors, I hope we will become Blog friends too...

Sunday 6 January 2013

Are You Watching Grandad?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not remotely proud of this picture, the composition is bad, the lighting is confusing and its out of focus. But the subject was charming!
No-one else was about in the Mead after the shops had closed as I wondered home. It was chilly, getting dark and the only sounds to be heard were the music that is piped into the bandstand and a little girl dancing and singing to her Grandad.
I sat down on one of the benches to watch.
She was running and dancing and singing 'twinkle twinkle little star' at the top of her voice all to enthusiastic encouragement.
 "are you watching Grandad?" she called out once in a while to make sure Grandad had only eyes for her. I sat there for half an hour remembering a time when the only audience you ever needed was your Grandad. Always one for rounding up local kids and putting on a show, I admired the little thing as she sang even louder when she began to draw a crowd and I just had to take a sneaky picture. Several pictures as it turned out as I just couldn't get the settings right, so this was the
best of a bad bunch.
To have moved closer and asked for a picture to get a better shot would have ruined the intimacy of the moment so I'm quite happy to have captured this snap which evokes a memory rather than being a good photograph. I'm sad that my daughter didn't have her Grandad for longer, he adored her when she was little and I wish for the millionth time that he hadn't got that damn desease. But he had many happy moments watching us all dance and sing for him during his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment