Hello and thank you for calling in...

My name is Helen and I am a Photographer living in England. I started this Blog on the day that my Grandma died, three months after my Father died and several weeks before a third funeral. Initially it was a very personal way to stay connected to the people I'd lost and it helped, it really did. But writing and taking pictures everyday has opened back up a creative side that I had lost during the everyday. A big thank you to my followers, to those who take the time to comment and to new visitors, I hope we will become Blog friends too...

Saturday 14 May 2011

Lemons and Garlic


We have a photography competition at the gallery, some stunning entries and the photograph that won was of garlic. I work in the cafe part of the gallery for a couple of hours once a week, which i started as an emergency fill in one day when i wondered out of my studio there for a coffee and a year later I still do it. Its enjoyable as the people are lovely and a whole week on ones own in your studio is enough to drive anyone loopy so it gets me out for a bit!
Anyway the point is that its very interesting to hear the comments that the people who have come for lunch make about the exhibitions and this one being the first photography exhibition has provoked many responses.
As the clientele of the cafe are generally of a certain age and a certain intellect (is it pc to say that?) the critic and purchase of the artworks on display are a valuable source of information for me as to what the public wants and i have to say that no-one to my knowledge had commented on the Garlic picture. This may have been that it was small and got lost amongst the striking larger works but I had noticed and loved it and just had to have a go myself once I heard that the photographer had simply wondered into his kitchen one day, plonked some garlic on his kitchen window sill and snapped. And who knew that garlic was such a wonderful thing to photograph! The paperyness of the skins, the wigglyness of the roots wonderful!!!


I went hunting for more and found lemons in the fridge, although much more vibrant and colourful
they just didn't inspire me at all after the Garlic. Looking at the images again today I can see a couple of reasonable photographs but to me at least they still don't have the impact of stunning Garlic :)

2 comments:

  1. I really love the white-on-white look of your garlic photo... it's always surprising to me what people in general think of as good photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Faith, funnily enough I sold the Garlic picture again at the Gallery yesterday, it does seem like a winner. They're having it framed in a pale frame too, continuing the pale theme!

    ReplyDelete