Hello and thank you for calling in...

My name is Helen and I am a Photographer living in England. I started this Blog on the day that my Grandma died, three months after my Father died and several weeks before a third funeral. Initially it was a very personal way to stay connected to the people I'd lost and it helped, it really did. But writing and taking pictures everyday has opened back up a creative side that I had lost during the everyday. A big thank you to my followers, to those who take the time to comment and to new visitors, I hope we will become Blog friends too...

Thursday 19 May 2011

i am an artist and photographer!

This picture is unedited apart from pushing the contrast up just a touch. Taken in natural daylight without flash it created that ethereal quality all on its own. The composition itself isn't very exciting and the pansies in the background were much prettier flowers and more striking on other photographs but this one has impact because of the depth it creates in the pictures. Its almost a 3D effect.

Its the kind of picture that makes me feel like a photographer because its exciting, it shows me the possibilities and fires me up to continue.

My friend Gren's (www.myspace.com/theconvolulutionrooms) sister has just started out as a photographer. He's a very successful man in his creative field and he left a message on her Facebook wall that really struck a cord with me




'You are a photographer, because you say you are and you back it up with creative and visually stunning images. End of.'

Its easy to loose heart and become unmotivated when the initial enthusiasm of a new venture doesn't exactly make you an overnight sensation. It takes time to prove yourself, huge energy (and money) to promote yourself, exhibit your work and generally get seen. I've been painting and selling for two years now but I haven't done any new pieces since Dad died or possibly before and I really should. I've been taking photographs instead and i suppose its still the same artistic process although I haven't been trying to sell them. I've ground to a halt.

The point is that right now I don't feel like an Artist, I'm not standing up and saying 'I'm an Artist and Photographer' like Gren said. I need to do that again and quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment